If you are a fan of games, you may already know how PlayStation consoles have revolutionized the way we interpret gaming. It is one of the best gaming consoles in the market with a wide range of games supported.
However, several users have reported that their PS5 keeps disconnecting from the Wi-Fi network and causing issues in online gaming. Due to this, they are not being able to play their preferred games on their console.
If you are also experiencing the same issue with your PS5 console, you need not worry. This guide will walk you through all the troubleshooting methods that you can try to fix your PS5 disconnecting from Wi-Fi issue, so make sure you read it till the end.
Why Is The PS5 Keeps Disconnecting from Wi-Fi?
There can be various reasons why you are experiencing issues with your PS5 gaming console disconnecting from Wi-Fi. Some of these include:
- A poor network connection – if you do not have a proper internet connection, then your PS5 will continuously disconnect from the Wi-Fi.
- Your PlayStation five is kept far away from the router – if you have kept your router and your PS5 in separate rooms, then the signal strength might be weak which may be causing the issue.
- The PlayStation service might be off-line – in case the PlayStation servers are off-line, then what you can do is wait for it to work again.
- You might have a faulty router – if your router has some fault, then it won’t be able to send proper signals, which might be causing the drop issues.
- The PS5 software might have some issues – A lot of users have reported on Reddit about having software issues with the new generation of PS5 consoles. It is reported that after one of the recent updates, PS5 is experiencing Wi-Fi drop issues.
- The PS5 hardware might have some issues – you might have some issues with the hardware in your PS5, such as its network card which might be the possible reason for this issue.
Fix PS5 Disconnecting from Wi-Fi
Regardless of what is the main reason behind Wi-Fi dropping issues in your PS5, here are some troubleshooting methods that you should definitely consider trying:
Fix 1. Check PSN Server Status
Sometimes, the PlayStation service might be off-line due to some maintenance work, which will cause issues with anything that you are doing online on the platform such as downloading games, playing multiplayer, and so on.
If the server is down, then you have to wait until it starts working again. Here is how you can check the PSN server status:
- Launch browser on your device
- Enter status.playstation.com in the URL field and the enter key on your keyboard
On this website, you will be notified regarding the status of the PlayStation server. So, before trying anything else make sure you check the status here first.
Fix 2. Restart PS5
If you have been playing on your PS5 for a while and started experiencing this issue after an elongated usage,
then it is worth restarting your PS5 to mitigate the glitches and errors that may be occurring due to your console not being able to work in optimal conditions.
To restart your PS5 console, follow the steps given below:
- Hit the PlayStation button on your dual sense controller
- Then, navigate to the power icon
- Lastly, hit the X key to turn off the console
Now, you just have to press the power button on your console to turn it on again and check if the issue still persists.
Fix 3. Reboot Wi-Fi Router
Rebooting your Wi-Fi router is one of the first things that you should try when you are experiencing issues with your internet connectivity.
Your router might be overused and a quick reboot will ensure that all the services start running again and the accumulated cache is cleared.
Fix 3. Setup Network Connection
As this issue is related to your network, making some changes to it might work. Here are two ways you can tackle this issue by making some necessary changes in your network.
A. Switch Wi-Fi Frequency
Follow the steps given below to switch your Wi-Fi frequency:
- Head to the main menu and navigate to the system settings option by selecting the gear icon.
- Then, navigate to networks, followed by settings.
- There, choose the setup internet connection option.
- Wait until your console finishes scanning the current settings and then choose the option button.
- Head to the Wi-Fi frequency bands section and change the setting from 2.4 GHz to 5 GHz.
B. Change DNS Settings
Here is how you can change the DNS settings on your PS5:
- Access the PS5 settings and head to the network section.
- Then, select the settings option and then navigate to the setup internet connection option.
- Here, select setup manually option followed by choosing the use Wi-Fi option.
- Afterwards, select DNS and use 126.96.36.199 as the primary DNS and 188.8.131.52 as the secondary DNS.
- Lastly, just save the settings, and You Are done.
Fix 4. Reset PS5 Using Safe Mode
If none of the aforementioned methods seem to be working for you, then you can try resetting your PS5 using the inbuilt safe mode. Follow the steps given below to do so:
- Firstly, turn off your PS5
- Once it is completely turned off, press and hold the power button for a while on your console
- Then, wait for the console to produce a beep sound twice and then release the button
- The console will boot into safe mode now
Now, you can proceed to reset the settings in this mode. Keep in mind that resetting your settings will not delete any of your games.
However, you may lose some of your saved games which should not be a problem as long as you have kept a backup with you.
What To Do If PS5 Still Disconnects from Wi-fi?
If you’re still facing issues with your PS5 even after trying all the possible troubleshooting methods listed above, then you can also try some other methods stated below:
Use LAN Cable
If your wireless connection is working fine on other devices without any drop issues, then you should try using a LAN cable to connect it with your PS5.
Sometimes, when wireless connection is not working, then it is a quick and easy way to mitigate the issue for the time being.
Buy New Router
If you are using an older version of router, then you may consider getting a new one. As the PlayStation five console is now using the latest Wi-Fi technology, older routers may not fully support it.
To verify whether your router supports your PS5 or not, you can try connecting the console to an alternate network and see if the issue persists.
If the Wi-Fi is working perfectly fine with the other router on the PS5, then it is time to buy a new router.
In case none of the solutions mentioned above are working, then the last thing you can resort to is visit the Sony service Center and contact the support team online.
If your console is still covered under a warranty, then you may also get a replacement or repair for absolutely free of cost.
So, there you have it – all the possible solutions that may help you fix the Wi-Fi keeps disconnecting issues on your PS5 listed. We hope you find this guide useful in helping you get rid of this issue in no time.